Okay If your like me and get “Chocolate is yummy and delicious and I want it now!” kind of craving, then I completely suggest making these bars. They’re absolutely delicious and aren’t a punch in face to your lovely clean eating ways.
— 1 cup pitted dates
— 1/2 cup almonds, unsalted
— 1/4 cup walnuts, unsalted
— 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
— 2 ripe bananas
— 4 tbsp natural nut butter (I like almond for this recipe!)
— 1/4 cup more unsweetened cocoa powder
— 4 tbsp honey or agave
Put dates in a bowl of warm water and allow to soak for 30 minutes, then drain. Mix dates, almonds, walnuts, and 1/4 cup cocoa powder in a food processor until well blended. Spread mixture in a 9×5 baking pan (or an 8×8 is okay if you like them really thick) until evenly distributed, and press down gently with a spoon. Then, mix together bananas, nut butter, honey/agave, and the other 1/4 cup cocoa powder in the food processor until well blended. Spread this mixture over bottom layer until evenly distributed. Place in freezer for AT LEAST 30 minutes. Cut and enjoy the deliciousness! Re-freeze whatever you don’t eat :D
adapted from Fit-Sugar.
Hey guys, just wanted to share a really easy to make healthy snack. If you are ever craving something crunchy and salty that isn’t bad for you and super processed, try making some kale chips! Kale is one of the most nutrient dense varieties of leafy greens and is an awesome way to super charge your health. Here’s how you make kale chips.
1. Get a bundle of kale I paid $1.50 for some organic purple kale. Any kale variety is pretty much fine for kale chips. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash the kale leafs first and then dry using a salad spinner or by towel. You want the leafs to be as dry as possible or else your chips will come out soft.
3. Break the kale leafs into smaller chip sized pieces. Peal the leaves off and leave the stiff stalk middle part out of your chip recipe.
4. Drizzle a small amount of olive or canola oil over your kale and mix until every leaf is coated. I used about a cap full of oil for my whole batch so it doesn’t take much.
5. Sprinkle a small amount of salt and mix until it’s well distributed throughout the kale. It doesn’t take to much salt, believe me. So go easy on the salt.
6. Spread the kale leaves in a baking pan or sheet which is covered with parchment paper or tin foil. The kale should all be in one layer. If you stack the leafs too much it will make the soggy.
7. Bake for 20 mins at 350 degrees in your oven.
EASY HEALTHY VEGAN BLACK QUINOA, BERRY AND CHIA SEED ENERGY BAR TOPPED WITH CRANBERRIES AND DARK CHOCOLATE RECIPE
- 1/2 cup of quinoa
- 2 tbsp of chia seeds
- 1 cup of frozen berries
- 12 dates
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 bits of dark chocolate
This energy bar is rammed with goodness! Not only is it the quinoa a complete protein, meaning that it contains all of essential amino acids the body cannot synthesize from other sources, but it also has the highest iron content of any grain! Additionally it is rich in essential amino acids and vitamins A, B2 and E and is an excellent gluten free alternative to other grains. I get mine from the wonderful people at Real Foods. The dates and berries are full of vitamins and dietary fibre and keep the whole bar stuck together. And well, the chocolate is a little happiness booster, filled with antioxidants and caffeine to get you pumped up and ready to go :)
And the best point is they are so easy to make! Start off with rinsing the quinoa in cold water, then bring to the boil and let it simmer for approximately 15 minutes, drain and set aside to cool (if you have the time, let it cool in the fridge overnight). Next step is the base: throw the chia seeds, berries and dates into the food processor and blend till its a gooey sticky red mess. I like to add apple sauce and vanilla for extra flavor. In a bowl mix most of the dried cranberries with the black quinoa and red mess. Spread the mixture on a sheet of baking paper, it should have a fairly dense consistency. Bake at 190 C/fan 170C/gas 5 for thirty minutes, depending on the thickness of the energy bars. Once crispy, remove from oven and cut into portions. Now’s the time to melt the dark chocolate in a small saucepan and cover each bar liberally, then sprinkle chopped dried cranberries on top while the chocolate is still warm. Let the whole thing cool et voilà! Enjoy as a workout snack, a posh biscuit or a lunchbox snack.
Yesterday, I posted a recipe for pineapple jellies! I wanted to share another jelly recipe with you! This one has different fruits, carrots, cinnamon, and freshly squeezed oranges! It sounds like an odd combo, but wait until you taste it! Mmmm Mmmm, good!
Ingredients: *1/2 medium…
Beehive CupcakesRecipe: Beehive Cupcakes Ingredients
- 1 (13-ounce) bag Snickers Miniatures, chopped
- 24 cupcake…
These are some of my favorite desserts but redone in a healthier way! Many of them use lighter ingredients like bananas and other fresh fruit, avocado and nut whole grains to lower calories and fat while adding nutritional value and still tasting great!
The hand pie recipes are here! :)
5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Granola Bars
makes 12-16 granola squares
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (these are optional, I just love the texture they give)
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup (honey works too!)
- add ins: chocolate chips, wheat germ, flaxseed, dried fruit (I made some with cherries!), other nuts, seeds, coconut
- Preheat over to 350.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, chia seeds and peanuts. Add brown rice syrup (or honey) and mix to combine. Add melted peanut butter and mix until moistened. This works as a perfect, simple granola bar, but you can also throw in any add-ins at this time. Fold them into the dough. You may need to get in there with your hands and work the granola dough! If dough is still too dry (this can depend on your ingredients) add more peanut butter or syrup (or honey) 1 tablespoon at a time until moistened.
- Press dough in a greased (non-stick spray) 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes.
- These would also work as a great no-bake granola bar, but I liked how they came together and the chocolate chips melted as they got warm. If you want to make no-bakes, simply press the dough into the pan and refrigerate for 60 minutes.
Gonna try these :)
Breakfast is served.
Overnight Apple Cinnamon Oats
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 an apple
- couple sprinkles apple pie spice
Mix all in a mason jar, put in frig overnight. Heat. Eat.
Creamy, delicious, good for you, and easy.
270 cals, 8g fiber, 10g protein, 44% RDA calcium